Friday, October 25, 2013

Two Birds, One Stone


   Yup, that's what I'm doing! Freebie Friday and Five for Friday all in one post!

So amazing ideas from other people came together to inspire this Freebie! A few weeks ago I went to a training on math talks ( as soon as I find the notebook that I wrote down the trainer information in, I'll provide the source!) Anyway she modeled a math talk that we could use in our classrooms. BTW if you aren't familiar with math talks, look them up! You will not be sorry....GREAT for common core! Anyway she presented two ten frames with different amounts of colored tiles.  We all discussed the different ways we added mentally to figure out how many were there. Some people moved tiles from the bottom frame to the top to make 10, some people saw it was a near double, some people made two 5's....do you see the discussion of strategy???

I have one of these on my easel with a little post-it adhesive so that the tiles can be moved around and reused. You could use velcro or magnets too!

During the training I remembered seeing a name in ten frame idea that I saw here! I decided to make it fit for our focus...addition strategies. The kids made their own name ten frames using their first and last name and then created their addition problem. They also discussed the strategy they used to add. Here it is! 

Here's my example so that I'm not giving the kids' first and last names!
                                                
 

If you like this idea...you are in luck because it's this week's FREEBIE! Just click below!

                                        
This week my school also had an anti-bullying door decorating contest! I saw this article once on a group middle school girls creating a bulletin board where every day students would write kind things about each other on post its. They called their project "A Post-it a Day  Keeps the Bullying Away!" LOVE! I knew I wanted to do this is my own my classroom. 

                                                    
I think this one was my favorite:) 

                                                      
We used this freebie from The Applicious Teacher which you can find here... I definitely think my kids would call this one of their FAVORITE activities EVER. 

                                                
So flippin' cute!

                                                          
Have you all heard of ReadWorks? AMAZING resource!


I used pumpkin resources from the site this week! Awesome!


And last Sunday we took this cutie to the pumpkin patch! <3



Whew that was a long post! Have a great weekend!
 photo signature_zpsb5191023.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Found you on the linky! Thank you for sharing the Writing to the Stars activity - I love that idea! I also love how one of your students asked Mr. President for his phone number, ha! :) Hope all of your students get timely responses from their new, famous penpals!

    Sarah Beth
    Miss White's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your 10-frame name freebie - thanks so much! I was just going to use ten frames on Monday. Perfect timing. Your blog is super cute and your 5 for Friday was packed with good stuff. Consider me your newest follower. :)
    Shelley
    The Perks of Teaching Primary

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you found something you can use! Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete