Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mission Organization: Portfolios and Keeping a Promise



Storing student work all  year long can be a PAIN! Filing can take forever and by 2nd quarter those tiny little file folders are exploding with work! I've also tried folding a long piece of constriction paper in half but those don't hold up for very long. This year I've started using paper grocery bags and gallon ziplock bags and I have a good feeling about it!
I store them in a large plastic tub. 
Ziplock bags can help you organize within the bag.



Right now I'm using the ziplock bags for work that the students have chosen as their best work. But I'm already thinking that I can also use ziplock bags to organize work by quarters or subjects!

I also feel that this is a bit easier for students to file their own work!

Okay I've got a promise to keep!

In my first blog post I said my goal was to find more ways to make math fun. As I was looking at the labels for my blog so far I saw NOTHING for math yet. Boy am I slacking. Well we have been doing some fun things in math I promise! Here's one activity we did last week to review place value...



Each kiddo gets a random amount of base ten blocks on their desk. They count their blocks and write their number on their desk with a dry erase marker (it will remove easily with a wet paper towel or sometimes I use baby wipes). After everyone writes their number I set the timer for 15 seconds and they have that long to find a new desk.
They recount the blocks at the new desk they are at. If they agree with the number that's on the desk they sign their name.
If they disagree, they cross out the number that's there and write what number they counted.


This is a quick little review idea that gets students up and moving. Great for students when they need a break after sitting for awhile! Well there you go my first math post! Hopefully my first of many:)


 photo signature_zpsb5191023.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment