Monday, September 1, 2014

Miss Rumphius Freebie and a New Product

So I read Miss Rumphius for the first time EVER with my kids this week and I fell in love. Such a beautiful story and I loved every second we spent with this story! 
I was happy to find the read aloud on YouTube which my kids enjoyed during their Listen to Reading time. 

We did some activities with Miss Rumphius which you'll find as my newest freebie in my store! 

This is how we started out.... We get our Bear Essential News newspapers once a month and I sometimes like to do something with them before I send them home. We worked on answering the who, what, when, where, why, and how for an article in groups this week. We were also able to point out captivating titles and topic sentences and how they catch their readers' attention. 




After seeing how well the kids did with taking apart an article I decided to have them write one! I told them to imagine that Miss Rumphius was real and to write an article about her. I loved how they turned out!


We also did this writing during our Work on Writing time. 

These past few weeks we've been working on close reading so we used those strategies to read through this informative passage on Lupines. 

You can find each of these activities in my store for FREE...just click here

Now on to math! We've been reviewing multiplication. I created these multiplication puzzles for my kids and they really were a hit. They are doing more than just finding the answer, they are connecting the equation to models and repeated addition. It really was difficult at first but they worked together and figured it out! We will try again this week in pairs and then independently. 



You can purchase this activity in my store now! Just click the image below:) 






 photo signature_zpsb5191023.jpg

1 comment: