Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Going With the Flow


We Arizonans are a bit out of our element as we have been prepping for the wrath of Hurricane Odile. Supposedly we are supposed to be hit with heavy rain with possibility of severe flooding. So far it's just been slight drizzle. Even so, I'm sure you can imagine how my kiddos arrived to school this morning!
They COULD NOT stop talking and asking questions about the upcoming flood! That combined with the fact that I had 10 absent, that's right 10 ABSENT I knew that the plans I had made for the day needed to go! So I went with where their brains were at and tried to still make it educational....

I quickly pulled up some reading passages on flooding that we read and took Cornell Notes on together. 



So thankful for my school's subscription to DiscoveryEd as I was able to quickly find some videos on flash floods and severe weather. We also watched some weather forecasts. 


While in the middle of reading safety tips a math review came to me so we went with it!
We learned that in case of an emergency we should have 3 gallons of water for each person in our house...and there was a multiplication problem that fell right into my lap! We all took out our slates and figured out how much water we should have for the people who live in our house. They proved their findings by drawing multiplication models. 


Last we created safety posters to share with our families tonight to prepare for tonight's weather. 




I've got flashlights, candles, batteries, and chocolate;P all the essentials in case it does get ugly. I'm totally fine with huddling up by candlelight tonight if need be... all I ask is that Mother Nature could wait till after Big Brother...I need my BB fix ; P



 photo signature_zpsb5191023.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog for more information!

    Meg
    TalesandTeacherisms

    ReplyDelete