Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Let's Talk Money!


We are learning about money this week. We are moving along but still have a ways to go...those stinkin' coins can be tricky!

We started off the week by observing coins and reviewing their value. I remembered seeing this cute bubble map idea from Amy Lemons over at Step Into Second Grade. We made an anchor chart for our wall and they made mini anchor charts for their folders so that they would have a resource to use during our money adventure.


We've also been using our giant piggy bank to count coins as a class or in small groups. I love these giant coins I got from Miss Bethany over at Polka Dots and Sticky Glue Spots. She just scanned real coins and blew them up to make giant coins! The kids love to use them and they really give them a close look at the many details there are on each coin.



I didn't get many pictures of this next activity. I gave each kid a coin of different value  and had them walk around the room till I said a number. Then I called out a number like 3 or 4 and had the kids get into a group that big (of course sometimes there would be a group who didn't have enough people or had too many depending on the size of group I called out, but no biggie). As a group they would count their money. After I checked we would move around again! I told them they couldn't be with the same people all the time because you know they'd try! They really seemed to like it plus it got them up and moving around which is always nice!

I also created this activity for later this week. 

Here they can practice making the same value with different coins. I am looking forward to using it. If you would like to use this activity, you can snag this freebie by clicking here

Enjoy the rest of your week!

 photo signature_zpsb5191023.jpg

1 comment:

  1. cute activity! Would it also work to ask your kiddos to make a certain amount of money (like 20 centers, or 13 cents...)

    ReplyDelete