Saturday, January 25, 2014

It's Been Too Long!

 I have been a slacker blogger lately!  So let me play catch up with the Five For Friday linky party....late of course!

We celebrated the 100th day of school last week! I tried to incorporate 100 in almost everything we did that day. They were immediately greeted with this fun sign that I have been seeing all over Pinterest.

I also wanted them to be so proud of this awesome milestone. So I let them know with little notes on their desks showing how excited I was for my 100th day smarties:) It seems like this would take a long time but it really didn't! Just a quick sentence and the looks on their faces was more than worth the extra 10 minutes (tops) it took to do this! I think I will be doing this more often...they loved it!


We also brought our 100 day fun into math and enjoyed a snack:)


I also found this idea on Pinterest. It was a journaling prompt...100 Things I Love. I knew it would be perfect for the 100th day. Now, I completed my example the night before and it took me about an hour. I knew that if I did this in one straight shot my kids would have melted down. So I started this activity first thing in the morning and they kept in on their desks all day. They would add something to it when they thought about something. I would also prompt them by telling them to think about their favorite food, drinks, restaurants, people, places, holidays, etc. Most of them were able to come up with 100 things! Bright markers really make it pop...and brings in a little bit more motivation (my kids will do anything to use colored markers!).

My example.
Love that she loves centers haha!
And in keeping in theme with 100....I reached 100 followers on Instagram!! I am beyond excited!! I am pretty new to the Instagram world but I am falling in love with it more and more each day! I love the idea sharing and there are just so many amazing teachers out there....just love it. 

                                                        

Now if only I could reach 100 followers on this blog:/
We also learned about Martin Luther King Jr. this week. I always love MLK discussions with my students. We put our ideas down on posters and presented. 

Teaching time can be tough. I find it to be one of those concepts that can be difficult for kids to grasp. I usually am pulling my hair out during the times I teach time. NOT THIS YEAR! My kids are rocking time! And I mean ROCKING IT...they are telling time down to the minute! The standard is really only to the 5 minute increments but these kids are eating time up. In fact the other day I had a clock I was using to test their time skills. I had just told the kids it was 1:35 and a student raised their hand and said "actually it's 1:36"...Sure enough it was! Smart little boogers...I love them.        
We created this anchor chart together and have been using it this week.

I love these clocks we found on Pinterest! Eventually we took the back plate off after we no longer needed that support. Great tool!


                                                      
Last but not least I've really been hitting writing hard since we've been back from winter break. We've been working on personal narratives. We wrote about special people. I love creating anchor charts I can reuse for different topics. I just leave blanks for post its!  So I came up with this one for writing about people. We started writing about some one special in our family this week. 


I modeled by adding post it ideas using a graphic organizer and then they created theirs. 



Then I modeled turning my ideas into a paragraph and then they did the same. 
Don't mind the messy handwriting : /


We redid this activity later in the week for our best friends. I also plan on creating a similar graphic organizer of events and hope to share that later this week. 

Enjoy your weekend! 

 photo signature_zpsb5191023.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Chelsie, You are such a fabulous teacher!!! I love reading about all of your wonderful teaching strategies. You are such an inspiration to your students. Keep up the fabulous job!!!

    ReplyDelete