Saturday, November 2, 2013

Pumpkined Out!

 How do you like that word I made up?! Seriously though, by yesterday I don't think anything I was saying was making sense! To say it was a LONG week just doesn't paint the picture well enough! Anyone else out there think that Halloween should ALWAYS  be followed up with a 3 day weekend?!

Anyway, Halloween in our classroom prompted the following comment from a volunteering parent...

"I don't know how you do this everyday. How are you not exhausted?"

Haha! Trust me, I'm exhausted but the kids are not normally this crazy! Halloween brings on it's on madness each year, combined with a change in weather, and to top it all off their not -so -sane teacher planned a PUMPKIN day that they were OVER THE MOON about! They were LOUD. BUT they were excited and they were learning so as hard as my head was pounding that day and as tired as I was am I am going to chalk this experience up as a WIN :) 

Here's what we did....

We started the day in the computer lab. The lesson started off as a glyph using the Paint program with  pumpkins. They were having so much fun that when they were done they were asking if they could add more detail to their pictures... How can I say no to that?!




Our school's math coach asked me earlier in the week if she could join our pumpkin day with a pumpkin tasting seed activity! Ummmmmm....yes please! *Warning* These pics are not the best...

They got to taste 4 different flavored seeds .

They described the seeds. 
Then they graphed their favorite seed! We also learned that Pepita is the Spanish word for pumpkin seed!
At the end of the day we measured our pumpkins inside and out! We focused on choosing correct tools and making estimates.

Measuring Activity Book that I finished at 4am on Halloween : /
Weighing pumpkins

How Tall?
Roll Away Pumpkin! Measuring how far their pumpkins roll.
Cleaning out our pumpkins!
Measuring seeds. 
Finally we counted our seeds!


I wish I could say that we are DONE with pumpkins but I have another pumpkin investigation planned next week.. Check back in to see!

Have a great weekend!
 photo signature_zpsb5191023.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment